Contribute To My Cause By CLICKING HERE!
As an ovarian cancer survivor, I will race in 50 triathlons in all 50 states by 50-years-old to raise $100,000 for ovarian cancer research. This campaign is self inspired, self orchestrated and 100% self funded. In addition, all in-kind donations are turned into cash donations by me in the same name of the person who donates. I race for women who have lost their battle, women undergoing treatment and women yet to be diagnosed.

Please help with even a $10 donation!

Friday, May 7, 2010

My Long Locks (Sort of)


While I was undergoing chemotherapy, I lost my hair. I really didn't mind. I actually liked being bald; it was very free-ing. Women (and some men) spend too much time and too much money on their hair. I wore a cap for warmth and can count on one hand how many times I wore a wig. This is one of the only photos of me right after chemo. My hair was long before I got sick and I cut it in anticipation of losing it and then had my husband shave my head just as it started falling out. I remember having to catch my breath for a moment when the hair "buzzer" turned on but then I felt like Demi Moore in G.I.Jane.

I have kept it short since it has grown back. It was fun to have a different look. There are so many perks to short hair; the best one being not wearing a swim cap. Well about 2 months ago, I decided it was time for a change and I am growing my hair again. For anyone who has ever had short hair and decided to grow it, it is torture and I am in the "awkward" stages. So be it. There might actually be the hint of a ponytail by the end of the summer... at least that's the goal. But in the meantime, it is long enough in the pool to be getting in the way of my goggles. I guess it's a good problem to have. It means it is actually growing. So now I need to buy a swim cap. I haven't owned one for over 3 years.

Not sure why this feels like a big deal to me. I can only guess it is another level of being "well" and putting my cancer behind me. Look at me... giving all this energy and time to my hair. Wasn't I just complaining about that?