Contribute To My Cause By CLICKING HERE!
As an ovarian cancer survivor, I will race in 50 triathlons in all 50 states by 50-years-old to raise $100,000 for ovarian cancer research. This campaign is self inspired, self orchestrated and 100% self funded. In addition, all in-kind donations are turned into cash donations by me in the same name of the person who donates. I race for women who have lost their battle, women undergoing treatment and women yet to be diagnosed.

Please help with even a $10 donation!

Sunday, August 7, 2011

And Then The Bees Came


















This title will only make sense for the folks that know me well so I will leave it at that. State #29, Louisiana and it's 100 plus temps...completed.

A first for me and my campaign, we participated in the expo and sold raffle tickets. First off, a big shout out to my local bike store, Carl Hart Bicycles, for donating so many great items for the raffle. The set of wheels and aero helmuts were a huge hit. Second round of thank yous belong to Sargent John Lee and Kari Kennedy for their unending support of my campaign and help with the expo. We raised almost $750 and were able to educate women about signs and symptoms of ovarian cancer. The energy was palpable; everyone seemed very interested and grateful for the information we were sharing. After today's race we raffled off the goods and one lucky lady won a ton of stuff (read: she bought a ton of tickets).

Five minutes before my wave this morning, I was stung by a yellow jacket on my calf. Can you say "hurt like the devil?" The swim felt great albeit over 90 degrees but I wasn't aware of my leg. During the bike my calf went numb and truth to tell, I still have a weird, nervy sensation. The run was brutal and each step reminded me I had been stung. Overall, given the heat and my bee story, I am thrilled. Rocked the swim, slammed the bike (19.6 mph) and well, just did the run but placed 7th in age in a field over 100. I couldn't be happier with the entire weekend. The 3rd thank you belongs to the folks at Clif Bar. They set me up with a bunch of race food when they learned of my campaign. And the last thank you goes to Matt Brown of Sportspectrum for a solid event and for providing me a platform to spread my message.