Contribute To My Cause By CLICKING HERE!
As an ovarian cancer survivor, I will race in 50 triathlons in all 50 states by 50-years-old to raise $100,000 for ovarian cancer research. This campaign is self inspired, self orchestrated and 100% self funded. In addition, all in-kind donations are turned into cash donations by me in the same name of the person who donates. I race for women who have lost their battle, women undergoing treatment and women yet to be diagnosed.

Please help with even a $10 donation!

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Smack Dab in the Middle

So I thought the middle of the country was relatively flat. How else can they plant all those crops? From what folks tell me, it's true.... except for Omaha. That's where today's event was held, representing state #28 of my 50x50x100 campaign. Hills, hills and more hills. I saw 36 mph on a downhill so that should tell you something. Of course, what goes down must go up. Until now, Maryland has been the hilliest state. Today Maryland was de-throwned and Nebraska has taken its place.
Great event, very well run and organized. Closed course which was really sweet for the cycle. Hot water to swim in...near 90 degrees. Close to 100 degree temps but with decent cloud cover early this morning. Did I mention the hills? Not just on the bike but the run too. The kind you actually have to lean into, so you don't fall backwards.
I was particularly concerned after my Kansas race of a few weeks ago. With similar temperatures, I held back and took it easier than normal. It must have paid off because I felt terrific after the event. Missed the podium by one spot; took 4th but I'd rather be safe out there... especially with six more event left this season.
Next stop Louisiana. Now that should be HOT but hopefully a little flatter than today.