Contribute To My Cause By CLICKING HERE!
As an ovarian cancer survivor, I will race in 50 triathlons in all 50 states by 50-years-old to raise $100,000 for ovarian cancer research. This campaign is self inspired, self orchestrated and 100% self funded. In addition, all in-kind donations are turned into cash donations by me in the same name of the person who donates. I race for women who have lost their battle, women undergoing treatment and women yet to be diagnosed.

Please help with even a $10 donation!

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Motivation


If ever I needed motivation, these books are perfect.  I just finished Lynne Cox's Swimming To Antartica and marveled at her ability, tenacity and courage.  At age 14 she accomplished feats most people can't even dream about.  This book is about swimming, family, challenges, politics, one woman's ability to make a difference... and I encourage anyone and everyone to read it.  After finishing her book, I rolled right into Iron War by Matt Fitzgerald.  More than a story about one event, this book includes the history of triathlon as well as the history of a lot of athletes.  I am desperate to go to bed at night so I can continue reading. 
Last night's chapter was on the sociology of the sport and what "makes" an endurance athlete.  Why do we challenge ourselves like this?  Why do we endure the pain?  Why are we constantly seeking a greater challenge?  All good questions and ones I have asked myself.  Here is my favorite quote of the day.
"The magnitude of satisfaction that a triathlete experiences upon crossing the finish line is directly proportional to the amount of suffering he/she has to overcome to get there."  Hmmm?  Something to think about.