Contribute To My Cause By CLICKING HERE!
As an ovarian cancer survivor, I will race in 50 triathlons in all 50 states by 50-years-old to raise $100,000 for ovarian cancer research. This campaign is self inspired, self orchestrated and 100% self funded. In addition, all in-kind donations are turned into cash donations by me in the same name of the person who donates. I race for women who have lost their battle, women undergoing treatment and women yet to be diagnosed.

Please help with even a $10 donation!

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Past and Present Update










First from Indiana, meet my friends Carl and Oscar from Kentucky. We stayed in the same hotel while racing state #23 and they caught up with me post race to take this photo. This is family fun at its best. Carl and Oscar are father and son! You two are lucky to have each other to "play" with.

Yesterday was the pristine, Jekyll Island of Georgia, representing state #24. Look at these mansions! Good crowd, warm ocean temperatures with a lovely current in the direction of the swim and a 2nd place finish for me. Truth to tell, two Olympic events in back to back weekends and I am hobbling. Because it is a barrier island on the coast of Georgia, it is flat. Now you may think that's a good thing but it means no variety in terrain and so no change in muscle use. For my body, it is actually better to have the variety. So by mile 4 on the run, I was suffering and limping. But I REFUSED to walk and just kept passing people one at a time.

A first in this campaign was the logistical snafu of my flight being cancelled four hours before departure. Weather, they said. So scramble I did, to find another flight but not until the next morning. It made for a stressful, whirlwind 40 hour trip, including several hours of driving to Jekyll, 2 layovers, and 4 states. Not to mention the most expensive airline to bring my bike on ($200 each way) and an airport that didn't have a large enough scanner for the bike case. So TSA had to unpack my entire bike, with its 100 pieces and repack it. A nail biter for sure but "she" arrived safely and I got to inspect each piece as I assembled her. Not the smoothest trip but that's not what this is about.

This is about ovarian cancer awareness and fundraising. Some of the details are just too funny not to include. Next stop, ALASKA for the half way race.