Contribute To My Cause By CLICKING HERE!
As an ovarian cancer survivor, I will race in 50 triathlons in all 50 states by 50-years-old to raise $100,000 for ovarian cancer research. This campaign is self inspired, self orchestrated and 100% self funded. In addition, all in-kind donations are turned into cash donations by me in the same name of the person who donates. I race for women who have lost their battle, women undergoing treatment and women yet to be diagnosed.

Please help with even a $10 donation!

Saturday, July 21, 2012

I Am A Runner

So excited to have been able to see so many friends on this trip to Minnesota, representing state #39.   These friends go "way back" and I am convinced nothing replaces history, even when time passes by.  I love you guys!
The River CityTriathlon in Chaska, Minnesota was a soaker.  Early lightning and thunder gave way to torrential downpours.  It was a challenge for sure and on a rented bike, I was conservative.  I figured there wouldn't be a podium finish for me today.  But apparently, I was wrong.
Here's some history.... After my chemotherapy, I sort of lost my running legs.  I was never ever to recover my youthful splits and typically posted 9 or 10 minute miles.  I told myself, "I am not a runner anymore" and I was ok with that.  Afterall, I had progressed in my swimming and cycling and was able to be very competitive in my age group.  That was before I met the self-proclaimed Freeport Nautical Milers.  If you've followed my blog, you know I have a crazy group (11 in total) of dedicated runner friends that I meet at 4:30 in the morning.  Since running with them a year ago May, I have watched my times go down and down and down and even posted a sub 8 on one of our training runs.  Thanks to them, today I told myself, "I am a runner" and was able to pass almost all of the racers who passed me on the bike.  Woo hoo.
That's one of the cool things about triathlon.  At any given point in your training, you are better at one sport over another.  This year is the year of the run.  Yet another step towards putting my cancer completely behind me.